Sunday, October 16, 2011

A lesson

I love Malawi.
Yesterday my children were sick, and I was worried about them. Nothing serious, but low-grade fevers and low energy, and I wanted to be with them and tend to them. Luckily, clinic wasn't busy and we finished early. I did not have the car, however, as Dave had dropped me off in the morning. Most days I walked, but that morning. I frequently walk or jog the commute between Baylor and home, but that day I had thoughtlessly failed to plan ahead, and had not brought comfortable walking shoes. I called Dave from work, already knowing that he probably would not be ready to go for quite some time, but wondering if we could make a plan so that I could get home to the kids as soon as possible. There was no answer. I tried again. And again. I became irritated that he was not picking up the phone, and grumpily set off in my highish-heel work shoes in the hot afternoon sun.
The streets and "sidewalks" (I use this term VERY loosely) in Lilongwe are uneven, pock-marked dusty orange paths, and as I stumbled the 3 miles home, my frustration and anger grew. Why do I always have to figure out how to get home? Why does Dave always get the car? Why the @-/?!$ doesn't he ever answer his phone? Why the @&$?! cant Lilongwe have some more decent paths to walk on? My dress was sweaty beneath my backpack, my face was burning in the heat, and my
ankles were twisting beneath me as I dodged the vendors in the markets and the cyclists who challenged me for space on the path.
"Good afternoon, Madam," I heard from behind me, and I lifted my head from my disgruntled inner monologue. Passing me on my right on a make shift, hand-operated bicycle-wheelchair of wood and rusted metal, came a man with no legs.

2 comments:

  1. wow. a lesson indeed, huh? makes you super grateful! a. cooper said you guys spoke the other day and that you're doing really well! thanks for recommending him... we love him! miss you though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Thank you for that reminder!
    We miss y'all and are praying for you all the time! :)

    ReplyDelete